NAME OF PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR/LEAD SCIENTIST:
DR A R POPOOLA (ASSOCIATE PROFFESSOR)
DEPARTMENT OF CROP PROTECTION,
TITLE OF PROJECT: Building capacity in agro-biotechnology to improve tomato yield in wilt-endemic areas of Nigeria and Ghana
SPONSOR: Department Of International Development (DFID) Of The Uk Government
YEAR OF COMMENCEMENT: 2010
- High yielding, wilt-resistant accessions of tomato.
- A parent line with resistance to wilt pathogens – TOMACHIVA identified.
- A female Ph.d student anchored on the project.
- A male PhD and a female M. Agric candidates also anchored on the project
- Ten scientists, research officers, extension agents from Nigeria and Ghana receive training on application of molecular tools to agricultural research
- Seeds of 150 accessions of tomato available to researchers and individuals free of charge. www.funaab.edu.ng/delphe.html
- Deliberate outreach to farmers in Nigeria and Ghana, reassuring them of project’s effort at solving the wilt problem.
- Training Manuals
- Regularly Updated Project Website www.funaab.edu.ng/delphe.html
- Active on-station research.
- Productive collaboration with States’ Agricultural Development Programmes.
- Assessment of tomato farming practices and production constraints in some major tomato growing areas of Nigeria and Ghana.
Last Updated on May 22, 2013 by admin