Following the recommendation of its Committee on Agricultural Education, the National Universities Commission (NUC) at its 40 th statutory meeting of 6th September, 1989 directed each Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Nigeria to establish a ‘Veterinary Teaching Hospital attached to but as an independent unit of the existing Faculty of Veterinary Medicine’. Accordingly, the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta established its Veterinary Teaching Hospital at the Isale-Igbein Mini-Campus of the University in May, 2005, to facilitate easy accessibility of the local community to its services.
Mandate of Veterinary Teaching Hospitals
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) is expected to provide facilities and expertise for clinical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary students and offer veterinary services to communities in FUNNAB’s mandate area. Apart from developing and improving the practical skills of veterinary graduates, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital is expected to serve as are feral centre for private practitioners and governmental primary veterinary care facilities. Also, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital is expected to contribute to the efforts of Federal and State government authorities in the control of animal diseases including those transmissible to humans.
To exceed the needs of our clients, students and veterinary health care team by being the foremost in patient care, education, research and technology. We are committed to playing an integral role in the progression of knowledge within the veterinary field and expanding veterinary medicine to benefit both animals and society.
To provide prompt and excellent veterinary services to all our clients in the areas of poultry, food and companion animal medicine and surgery, diagnostic services, consultancy and to provide both training and research support to the College of Veterinary Medicine, the University and the entire nation
- Provide advanced clinical and diagnostic services in the veterinary teaching hospital
- Improve overall patient care in an efficient, compassionate and service-oriented manner and ensure client satisfaction by reorganizing the activities of the VTH into specialist clinic.
- Increases revenue generation base of the veterinary Teaching hospital
- Encourage multidisciplinary research which can lead to patent of biomedical product especially in the area of ectoparasites control
- Improve collaboration between the VTH and private veterinarians to foster referral of cases to the VTH
- We hope to be the leading referral centre for both food and companion animal cases in the South-western part of Nigeria
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital commenced its operation at the permanent site, Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta on the 20th January, 2014. However, the Isale-Igbein clinic was retained as its annex. The annex is now located at Kemta Housing Estate, along OGTV/Ajebo Road, Idi-Aba. It is hoped that at least two rural satellite clinics will be established outside Abeokuta.
Services Provided by the VTH
- Veterinary Clinics for various domestic and wildlife species
- Diagnostic Laboratory Services
- Ambulatory services
- Pests Control and Fumigation
- Boarding Facilities for Dogs