The National Universities Commission (NUC) proposed and established the Academic Planning Unit (APU) in the Nigerian Universities in the early 1980s in response to the need to coordinate and streamline the academic policies and activities arising from sudden, and sometimes, uncoordinated growth, development and proliferation of Programmes and Units in the Universities.
A Director heads the Academic Planning Unit of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
Philosophy And Objectives
The philosophy of the Academic Planning Unit is to enhance efficiency in pursuit of the mandate of the University and to ensure the generation, dissemination and publication of qualitative ideas, information and knowledge. This is with the ultimate objectives of:
- Building the culture of Quality Assurance in Higher Education in line with what obtains in the developed world.
- Ensuring the compliance of the University with the National Universities Commission (NUC) guidelines on academic matters.
- Ensuring the provision of conducive teaching, learning, research and development environment for the staff and students.
- Ensuring efficient and effective utilization of academic resources.
- Enhancing the conformity of the University with international academic standards.
- Serves as the quality control unit of the university
- Guiding each Unit on the operation of the University Academic Brief which documents the academic plan of programmes and services of the University including the philosophy, mission, aims, objectives, academic pattern, curriculum, organizational structure and future growth and development plans.
- Liaising between the University Management and other regulatory agencies of the Government e.g. NUC, TETFund etc.
- Studying and analyzing how the University complies with regulatory agencies’ parameters for fund allocation.
- Obtaining up-to-date, relevant and accurate data for processing and generating information to guide University Management for accurate and timely decision-making on University matters ( e.g staff and students’ records, financial records, research output etc. )
- Performs other functions such as:
- Evaluation of a proposal for the establishment of new Academic Programmes and review of existing curricula for submission to the Academic Planning and Curriculum Committee, Senate and NUC.
- Involvement in the preparation, procurement and distribution of examination materials.
- Coordinates University-wide survey to update data on key matters concerning the University.
- Production of annual reports and publication of the University records, statistics and research reports.
- Coordinates curricula revision and/or review activities as well as ensuring that the University complies with procedures and guidelines on new programme development.
- Analyze collected data for making projections and advising the University on areas of direct concern and attention.
- Provides input into the production and or revision of long term, medium-term and short term academic briefs and/or plans and modelling of such plans against reality and University goals.
- Serves as an intermediary between the University and governmental agencies, researchers and professional bodies.
- Analyze and interpret University annual statistics on enrolments, staff training and turnover.
- Performing any other function that may be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor.