Professor Onwuka was born 60 years ago at Ibadan Oyo State. He attended Edo Government College, Benin City, and St. Anthony’s College, Ubulu-Uku for his secondary school education which he completed in 1971. He was back at Edo Government College, Benin City between 1972 and 1973 for the Sixth form and sat for and obtained the Higher School Certificate (H.S.C.) in June 1973. He proceeded to the University of Ibadan in 1975. He stayed at the University of Ibadan for 8 years during which by divine grace and hard work he obtained the degrees of B.Sc. Agric. Biochemistry and Nutrition, Second Class (Honours) – Upper Division in 1978, M.Sc. Animal Science (Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition) in 1980 and Ph.D. (Animal Science) Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition in 1983. Prof. Onwuka is an accomplished academic and researcher who started his working life as a Teacher at St. Columbus’ Grammar School, Agbor between 1973 and 75. He had a brief stint at United Bank for Africa, (UBA) Ltd. Benin‑City in 1975. On graduation from Ibadan in 1978, He was posted to the Nigerian Livestock and Meat Authority – Poultry Production Unit, Ilorin for the mandatory National Service (NYSC) between 1978 and 1979. His love for teaching made him also help out at Government Secondary School, Ilorin during the same period. He took up an appointment as Agric Officer II Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Benin‑City in the old Bendel State. His stay was very brief as he was back at Ibadan the same year for his Postgraduate studies. During his graduate studies at Ibadan, he also served as a Teaching Assistant; Department of Animal Science. On completion of his Doctorate programme in 1983 he worked at Kikachikwu Agricultural Enterprises, Benin-City /Ogwashi-Uku as Production Manager in Charge of Feed mill and Parents stock.The then Dr. C.F.I. Onwuka was appointed as a Lecturer II at the University of Uyo in 1984. He Left Uyo as a Lecturer I and took up an appointment as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta in 1990 and attained the rank of Full Professor on 1st., October 1998. He served in several capacities in the University including, Dean of Students Affairs, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics).
1) Acting Head, Department of Animal Nutrition (1991 to 1997) – Ag. Head
2) Appointments & Promotions Committee for Academic Staff (APCAS) – Member
3) World Bank Facility Implementation Committee (WOBFIC) – Member
4) Farm Management Committee (FAMAC) – Chairman
5) Committee of Heads of Departments, COLANIM – Member
6) Admissions Committee – Member
7) Farm Development Board – Member
8) Curriculum Committee – Member
9) Departmental Examinations Animal Nutrition Dept. – Coordinator
10) COLANIM Postgraduate Project/Seminar – Coordinator
MONOGRAPHS / BOOKS
(1) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; OJO, L. O. AND OKOJIE, J. A. (eds.) (1993). Our Lost Crops. Lost Crops Series 1. 58 pp.
(2) ONWUKA C. F. I. (1998) Title Index – Published titles in the Nigerian Journal of Animal Production, 1974-1998, NSAP. 58 pp.
(3) UZOCHUKWU, S. V. A., C.F.I. ONWUKA AND IDOWU, M. I. (Editors) (1998) Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST).Vol. 1 (Technical papers).
(4) ADU, I. F. AND ONWUKA C.F.I. (2005). : Utilization of Cassava (Manihot sp.) as feed resource for small ruminants in Nigeria. Contract No. 4442. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, Nigeria .23 pp
(5) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (2007) : Browsing Goats and Sheep: The Wisdom in their Foolishness. UNAAB Inaugural Lecture Series No. 21. Presented at the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta on the 28th February, 2007. ISBN: 978-078-795-X. 55pp
INVITED CONFERENCE / WORKSHOP PAPERS
(1) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1988) : Range management and improvement in Nigeria. Invited Paper Presented at a symposium during the Science week of the School of Arts and Science, Uyo. 8pp.
(2) ADU, I.F. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1991) : Problems and prospects of commercialization of sheep and goats in Ogun State. Invited paper presented at the Training Workshop on Effective Management of Agricultural Enterprises at the Local Government Level in Ogun State. July 29 31. 11pp.
(3) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1992). Philosophy of the B. Agric. Programme. Presented to the Nigerian Association of Agricultural Students, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. 19th February, 1992. 6pp.
(4) ABIOLA, S.S. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1993). Low Cost Poultry housing using local materials. Presented at the Training Workshop on “Stimulating profitable Small Scale Poultry Production in Ogun State”. 29-31 December, 1993. 14pp.
(5) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1993). Profitability of Livestock farming enterprises. Presented at the seminar on “Agricultural Co-operatives for Rural Development” Conference Hall, Federal Secretariat, Abeokuta. 1-2 November, 1993. 15pp.
(6) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1993). Management of Poultry enterprises for profit maximization. Presented at the Training Workshop on “Stimulating Profitable Small Scale Poultry Production in Ogun State”. 29-31 December, 1993. 16pp.
(7) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1994). Fate of Animal Production in the 21st Century. Presented at the Animal Production Students’ Week, Ogun State University, Ago-Iwoye. 17th March, 1994. 9pp.
(8) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1995). Alternative feed resources for ruminant Animals. Presented at the Workshop on Alternative feed resources, mounted for Lagos State Ministry of Agric. Cooperatives and Rural Development Staff, Lagos. 15pp.
(9) ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1997) Feeds and Feeding of Ruminants for increased productivity. Paper presented at the Monthly technology Review Meeting (MTRM) of Ogun State Agric. Dev. Programme (OGADEP) on 20th May, 1997. 20pp.
(10) ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1997) Supplementary feed for Small Ruminants. Presented as a Research & Development Centre (RESDEC)’s Seminar Paper on 16th October 1997. 28pp.
(11) ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1998) Managerial vision in the next Millennium: The issues in human resources training and development. Presented at the training forum for Companies Chief Executives organized by the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) at Gateway Hotels, Ota. 30th June, 1998.
(i) THESIS AND DISSERTATION
(a) Effects of Sulphur Levels on Urea Nitrogen Utilization by small ruminants. B.Sc. Project, Animal Science Department, University of Ibadan. Ibadan. 1978.
(b) Chemical Composition and “In Vitro” organic matter digestibility of some Nigerian Browse Plants. M.Sc. Thesis. Animal Science Department, University of Ibadan, 1980.
(c) Nutritional Evaluation of some Nigerian Browse Plants in the humid tropics. Ph.D. Thesis. Animal Science Department, University of Ibadan, Ibadan. 1983.
(ii) PUBLISHED ARTICLES – PUBLICATIONS IN LEARNED JOURNALS
(1) AKINSOYINU, A.O. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1988). : Mineral constituents of some browse plants used in ruminants feeding in Southern Nigeria.: Nig. Journal. of Anim. Prod. 15: 56 62.
(2) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1989). : Evaluation of the digestibility of browse using in sacco, in vitro and in vivo techniques. : Bull. on Animal Health and Prod. in Africa 37 (3): 291 296.
(3) ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND AKINSOYINU, A.O. (1989). : Effects of elemental sulphur levels on urea nitrogen utilization by West African dwarf goats and sheep. : Tropical Agric. (Trinidad) 66 (2): 158 160.
(4) ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND AKINSOYINU, A.O. (1989). : Protein and energy requirements for maintenance and gain by West African dwarf goats fed cassava (Manihot utilissima) leaves with peels as supplement. : Small Ruminant Research (Elsevier) 2 (4): 291 298.
(5) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; AKINSOYINU, A.O. AND TEWE, O. O. (1989): Feed value of some Nigerian browse plants: Chemical composition and in vitro digestibility of leaves. : East African Agric. & For. Journal. 54 (3):157 163.
(6) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1992). :Hydrocyanic acid contents of tropical browses and their influence on performance of goats. : Food Chemistry. (Elsevier) 45: 5 10.
(7) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1992): Tannin and Saponin contents of some tropical browse species fed to goats. : Tropical Agric. (Trinidad). 69 (2): 176 180.
(8) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; AKINSOYINU, A.O. AND TEWE, O. O. (1992) : Role of sulphur in cyanide detoxification in Ruminants.: Small Ruminant Research (Elsevier) 8 (4): 277 284.
(9) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; ADELIYI, G. O.; BIOBAKU, W. O. AND ADU, I. F. (1992). : Leucaena leucocephala leaves in rabbits diets. : Leucaena. Res. Rep. 13: 65 67.
(10) ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1994) : Nitrates and Nitrites in ruminants’ browse leaves : Nigeria Journal Animal Production 21 (1&2): 96-100.
(11) IPOSU, S. O.; ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND ERUVBETINE, D. (1994). :The relationships between selected egg quality traits and egg size. :Nigeria Journal Animal Production 21 (1&2): 156 160.
(12) BIOBAKU, W. O.; ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND ERUVBETINE, D.(1994). : Cassava flour as energy source for laying hens. :Journal of Agricultural Technology 2 (2): 76-80.
(13) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; EGBE, D. W.; UMOH, B. I. AND OKON, B. I. (1995). : Milk Production potentials of Holstein-Friesian cattle in the derived savannah zone. Nigeria Journal of Animal Production 22 (1): 85-88.
(14) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1996). : Plant Phytates and Oxalates and their effects on performance of West African dwarf goats. Nigeria Journal of Animal Production 23 (1): 53 – 60.
(15) ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND OLATUNJI, E.N. (1996). :Substitutes for molasses and cement in urea-molasses blocks for ruminant animals. Nigeria Journal of Animal Production 23 (2): 169 – 173.
(16) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; ADETILOYE, P.O. AND AFOLAMI, C.A. (1997). : Use of household wastes and crop residues in Small Ruminant Feeding. Small Ruminant Research. (Elsevier) 24: 233 – 237. 5pp.
(17) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1997). :Efficient Poultry waste retrieval and its conversion to feed. : Discovery and Innovation. 9 (3/4):150-155
(18) OGUNWOLERE, Y. O. AND ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1997). : Assessment of some qualities of commercial livestock feeds. : Nigeria Journal Animal Production 24 (2); 137-142.
(19) ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1997). : Effect of processing on mimosine contents of some leaves fed to livestock. : Archivos de Zootecnia 46 (174): 179 – 180.
(20) MAFIMIDIWO, A. O.; FANIMO, A. O.; ONWUKA, C. F. I. AND TEWE, O. O. (1998). : Performance and Serum metabolites of grower pigs fed GNC, extruded soyabean meal & cottonseed cake-based diets. Nigeria Journal Animal Production 25 (2): 152-156.
(21) ABIOLA, S. S. AND ONWUKA, C. F. I. (1998). : Reproductive performance of West African dwarf sheep and goats at village level in Ogun State, Nigeria. : Nigeria Journal Animal Production 25 (2) :79-82
(22) IPOSU, S. O., ADEBAYO, K., ERUVBETINE, D. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (2000). : Analysis of the relationship between the socio-economic characteristics of consumers and their preferences for egg quality types. : Nigerian Poultry Science. Journal 1:12-22
(23) AMAO, O. A., OSINOWO, O. A., ONWUKA, C.F.I., ABIOLA S.S., AND DIPEOLU, M.A. (2003).: Evaluation of Udder Traits as influenced by Bodyweight and Reproductive status of Red Sokoto Goats in a Guinea Savannah Environment. : Nigerian Agricultural Journal 34: 131-137
(24) O. A. AMAO, O. A. OSINOWO, C.F.I. ONWUKA, S.S. ABIOLA AND M.A. DIPEOLU. (2003).: Evaluation of Udder Traits in West African Dwarf goats. : Nigeria Journal of Animal Production 30 (2): 246-252
(25) O.A. AMAO, O.A. OSINOWO, C.A.M. LAKPINI, M.A. DIPEOLU, S.S. ABIOLA AND C.F.I. ONWUKA (2003). : Types and frequency of udder shapes and abnormalities in West African Dwarf and Red Sokoto goats. Nigeria Journal of Animal Production 30 (2): 253-258
(26) A.O. ONI, C.F.I. ONWUKA, O. O. ODUGUWA, O. S. ONIFADE, O. M. ARIGBEDE, AND J.E.N. OLATUNJI (2006). : Utilization of citrus pulp-based diets and Enterolobium cyclocarpum foliage (Jacq. Griseb) by West African Dwarf Goats. Medwell Online. : Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 5 (10): 814-818
(27) J. E. N. OLATUNJI, C.F.I. ONWUKA, D. ERUVBETINE, O. O. ODUGUWA AND A. B. J. AINA (2006) : Performance of West African Dwarf (WAD) sheep fed diets containing Lasalocid. Medwell Online. : Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 5 (10): 810-813
(28) A.O. ONI, C.F.I. ONWUKA, O. O. ODUGUWA, O. S. ONIFADE, O. M. ARIGBEDE, O. O. ONI AND U. Y. ANELE (2006). : Nutrient intake and Digestibility by West African Dwarf Goats fed Enterolobium cyclocarpum foliage (Jacq. Griseb) basal diet and Citrus pulp-based diets. . Medwell Online. : Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 5 (10): 828-831
(29) A.O. Oni, C.F.I. Onwuka, O. O. Oduguwa, O. S. Onifade, O. M. Arigbede, and J.E.N. Olatunji (2008). : Utilization of citrus pulp-based diets and Enterolobium cyclocarpum foliage (JACQ. GRISEB) by West African Dwarf Goats. : LIVESTOCK SCIENCE. 117 (2-3): 184-191 (UK).
(30) C.F.I. ONWUKA AND H.E. NELSON (2008) : Influence of Some Tropical Forages and Agro-Industrial by-Products on the Performance of NewZealand White Rabbits. : Nigeria Agric. Journal 39 (1): 55-60
(iii) PUBLICATIONS IN REFERRED/EDITED PROCEEDINGS
(31) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1986) : Gliricidia sepium as dry season feed for goat production in Nigeria. In: Potentials of forage legumes in farming systems of sub-Saharan Africa. (Eds. Haque, I., Jutzi, S. and Neate, P.J.H.) ILCA. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, pp. 533 539.
(32) EKPENYONG, T.E. & ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1987) : Survey of small ruminant population and farming systems in Cross River State. In: Browse use and small ruminant production in South East Nigerian (Eds. Reynolds, L. and Atta Krah, A.N.). : ILCA, Addis Ababa. May 1987, pp. 13 22.
(33) ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1988) : Goat and Sheep production in Akwa Ibom and Cross River States of Nigeria. : Nigerian Society for Animal Production, eds. A.O. Akinsoyinu and O.A. Adebambo, April 20 24. pp. 120 128.
(34) IFUT, O.J. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1991) Uyo Urban Livestock Survey. In: Nigerian Livestock Survey. FLD/PCS/National Livestock Project Division/Resources Inv. Management, London.
(35) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; TAIWO, B.B.A. AND ADU, I.F. (1992) : Browse species and supplements utilized for small ruminant feeding in Ogun State of Nigeria. African Feed, Resources Network Workshop, Gaborone, Botswana. (eds. J.E.S. Stares, A.N. Said and K.A. Katejile). March, 1991. ILCA, Addis Ababa, pp. 173 180.
(36) ONWUKA, C.F.I.; IFUT, O.J.; UMOH, B.I. AND UMANNA, P. F. (1992).: Alley farming as an intervention in ruminant feed supply gap in Southern Nigeria. Proc. International Conf. on Alley Farming. IITA/AFNETA/ICRAF/ILRI. In Alley Farming Research and Development (B.T. Kang, A. O. Osiname and A. Larbi, eds.) Pp. 278 – 281.
(37) ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND ADU, I.F. (1993) : Potentials for lost crops in livestock production in Nigeria. In: Lost Crops of Nigeria: Implications for food security (Eds. J.A. Okojie and D.U.U. Okali) Univ. of Agric., Abeokuta. pp. 330 339.
(38) DAVIES, A. T. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (1996). : Conservation of forage for dry season feeding in the humid zone of Nigeria. African Feed Resources Network Proc. 2nd African Feed Resources Network Workshop AFRNET, (Eds. J. Ndikumana and P. N. de Leeuw). Nairobi, Kenya. Pp. 93 – 96.
(39) ODUGUWA, O. O.; ODUGUWA, B. O.; ONWUKA, C. F. I. AND OLAJOBI, H. O. (1998).: Anti-nutritional factors in foliage of some leguminous trees and shrubs. Proceedings of NSAP Conference, In: Animal Agric. in West Africa: the Sustainability question. (O.O. Oduguwa; A. O. Fanimo and O. A. Osinowo, Eds.) Pp. 339 – 340.
(40) IPOSU, S.O.; ADU, I. F.; ONWUKA, C. F. I. AND AINA, A. B. J. (1998). : The Influence of physiological status on the nutritional status of village goats. In: Proceedings of NSAP Conference on Animal Agric. In W. Africa: the sustainability question. (O. O. Oduguwa; A. O. Fanimo and O. A. Osinowo, Eds.). Pp. 367 – 368.
(41) ONABANJO, O. O. AND C. F. I. ONWUKA (1998).: Gmelina arborea leaves and some supplements as dry season feed for West African dwarf (Fouta djallon) goats In: Proceedings of NSAP Conference Animal Agric. In West Africa: the sustainability question. (O. O. Oduguwa; A. O. Fanimo and O. A. Osinowo, Eds.) Pp. 369 – 370.
(42) ADU, I. F. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I ( 2001) : Livestock Production Systems in Nigeria and Environmental conservation. In: Biodiversity of the Rainforest Ecosystem in Nigeria. (Eds. A.O. Adeola, J. A. Okojie and L. O. Ojo). : Proceedings of a Colloquium organized/Published by FEPA-UNAAB Linkage Centre for Forest, Conservation and Biodiversity. 8-10 December 1998. Pp. 240-246.
(43) FAFIOLU, A.O.; ODUGUWA, O. O.; IKEOBI, C. O. N.; ONWUKA, C.F.I. AND M.A. ADEBULE (2004). : Performance and egg quality assessment of laying hens fed malted sorghum sprouts – based diets. : Proceedings of Annual Conference of Animal Science Association of Nigeria (ASAN) 13-16 Sept. 2004. Ebonyi State University, (EBSU), Abakaliki. Nigeria. (Eds. Ogunji et al.) pp 33-35.
(44) FAFIOLU, A.O.; ODUGUWA, O. O.; IKEOBI, C. O. N. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (2005). : The effect of feeding malted sorghum sprout on laying characteristics of domestic hens. Proc. 15th European Symposium on Poultry Nutrition. 25-29 September 2005. Balatonfüred, Hungary.: World Poultry Science Association.(Eds. Hungarian Poultry Science Association Pp. 606-608.
(45) ADERINBOYE, R.Y. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (2008) : Effect of monensin inclusion on nutrient degradation on Gmelina arborea foliage.: Proceedings of Annual Conference of Agric. Society of Nigeria (ASN) 19-23 Oct. 2008. Ebonyi State University, (EBSU), Abakaliki. Nigeria. Pp. 612-617
(46) ONI, A.O.; ARIGBEDE, O.M.; ABEGUNDE T.O. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (2009). : Chemical composition and in vitro gas production of four varieties of cassava leaves grown in south western Nigeria. : Proc. 34th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Society for Animal Production. (NSAP). 15-18 March 2009. University of Uyo. Uyo. Nigeria.(Eds. B.I. Umoh; A.B.I. Udedibie; I.P. Solomon; O.L. Obasi; B.I. Okon & E.J. Udoh). Pp. 296-299
(47) YUSUF, K.O.; ISAH, O.A., ONI, A.O.; ARIGBEDE, O.M.; ADELIYI O.O. AND ONWUKA, C.F.I. (2009).: Performance and nutrient digestibility of West African Dwarf (WAD) goats fed diets containing yam peel meal.: Proc. 34th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Society for Animal Production. (NSAP). 15-18 March 2009. University of Uyo. Uyo. Nigeria. (Eds. B.I. Umoh; A.B.I. Udedibie; I.P. Solomon; O.L. Obasi; B.I. Okon & E.J. Udoh). Pp. 519-521
Award of First Degree to deserving graduands