The Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries Management (AQFM) was created out of the former Department of Fisheries, Forestry and Wildlife Management (FFWM) in 1992 with a vision to accelerate the teaching/training, adaptive research and outreach programmes. Before 1992, the former Department of FFWM has jointly trained and produced graduates with Fisheries and Wildlife option from inception of the University in 1989.
Today, the Department is one of the four Departments in the College of Environmental Resources Management (COLERM). The AQFM Department which currently has a total of eighteen (18) Academic, Five (5) Technical and Administrative staff offers programmes leading to the award of Bachelors, Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and Doctoral Degree in Aquaculture and Fisheries Management. The Department also offers skill acquisition training programme in Aquaculture and Fisheries Management for international students under Foreign African Students’ Scholarship Scheme (FUFASS).
In the year 2002, the Department was awarded the status of a Center of Excellence in Aquaculture and Fisheries by the Education Tax Fund (ETF) in recognition of giant strides made in the area of training, research and extension for quality manpower development and capacity building. The Department was also honoured with a Distinguished Service Award in August 2005 by the Fisheries Society of Nigeria (FISON) to recognize her achievements in Human Resources Development. The Department has earned a full accreditation status as assessed by the National Universities Commission (NUC) in 2005.
Acceleration of the impetus towards fish self-sufficiency through teaching/training, adaptive research and outreach programmes.
To achieve and maintain the lead in excellence in training well-equipped manpower for development and sustainable exploitation of the nation’s aquatic resources.
The main objectives of the Bachelor of Aquaculture and Fisheries Management Programme are:
- To provide practically and theoretically-sound manpower in Fisheries who
will not only be job creators and hence be employers of labour but can also serve as sources of manpower for all fisheries and allied establishments locally, nationally and internationally.
- To engage in fish production and purposeful research that will solve the country’s fisheries development problems and increase the contribution of fisheries to the gross national product.
- To equip the students with good management skills in fish production, processing and aqua-cultural practices that will revolutionize and boost fish production and utilization of the nation’s vast marine, brackish and freshwater resources.
It is expected that each student shall satisfy the general and specific requirements in their programmes as scheduled in regard to core/compulsory, optional, elective courses, and practicals. To qualify for a degree, each student should have completed and passed all the required courses.
Minimum Graduation Requirements
To qualify for the award of the degree of Bachelor of Aquaculture and Fisheries Management, a student:
- must have spent a minimum of 3, 4 or 5 years on the programme depending on the year of entry
- Must have passed all the University compulsory courses.
- Must have passed all the Department’s and College Core Courses and the required electives
- Should not have spent more than 2 years in excess of the prescribed minimum period for the award of degree.
- Should not have a CGPA less than 1.0 at end of the programme.
5 Credits WASCE/NECO which must include at least credit in Mathematics, English,
Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and at least credit in Physics