The Department offers courses in Mathematics at the undergraduate level leading to the award of B.Sc. (Hons) in Mathematics. The Department also offers Postgraduate Programmes leading to the award of M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Mathematics.
The Department will operate the following curriculum for its B. Sc. (Hons) Mathematics Programme.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN MATHEMATICS
Philosophy and Objectives
Mathematics is a subject of varied features ranging from intrinsic beauty to its usefulness with wide-scope of applications in Science, Engineering, Technology and Social Sciences. This Mathematics programme is designed for students who are interested in these features. The curriculum has been carefully planned to equip students with a broad knowledge from various aspects of Mathematics.
The curriculum has been carefully planned to assist the students to specialize according to their own aptitude in Pure Mathematics or in any area of Applied Mathematics.
The main goals of the programme are:
- To train professional Mathematicians to reason rigorously and logically, as well as to be objective and analytical. This can easily make our graduates branch out to be successful in business, system analysis or financial sector.
- To train Mathematicians to pursue the study of scientific and technological problems by mathematical techniques and to undertake research in various branches of mathematics.
- To give instructions in mathematics to those who require it in some other courses of study in the various departments of the University.
- To train high – skilled mathematicians who will be able to translate some of the abstract concepts into reality and use same in solving some emerging national problems.
- To train graduates who are not only qualified in the core subjects but have a good overall ability in the applied mathematics. This will serve them well in many employment fields such as teaching, finance, software development and research.